Pageviews

Mga Pahina

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Food Post: Red Velvet Cupcakes


Aside from make-up and polymer clay, one thing that I love the most is baking! More than 2 decades ago, my mama probably bake cakes and other goodies everyday! My father had a gigantic sweet tooth, check his side of the closet and I'm sure you'd always find a stash of chocolate.
I still recall my ate and I sitting on top of our table waiting for the mixer rods and lick it clean (oh and the bowls too!) but when my father died, my mama stopped baking even though she had this dream of building her own baked goodies store. (she said she wanted it named "something" because when we were kids, we called pasalubongs as "something")


I do bake, but never tried making cupcakes or cakes so last night after thiking which flavor to try first (either dark chocolate cupcake with peanut butter frosting or red velvet)  I went on and tried making red velvet cupcakes because it reminded me of my youngest sister. 

I got my recipe from the brown eyed baker but had to adjust it because there's only me and my husband, baking a whole batch was not an option.

Recipe: (yields 5 to 6 regular size cupcakes)

Temp: 350 F bake for 20 minutes

Cupcake ingredients:

4 tbsp unsalted butter (room temp)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
Half an egg
1/2 tbsp dutch processed cocoa
2 tbsp red food coloring
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup all purpose flour
Pinch of salt
Pinch of baking soda (yes a pinch, this is a very small batch)
1/2 tsp distilled white vinegar

Cream cheese frosting ingredients:
1 oz butter (room temp)
1 oz cream cheese (room temp)
1/2 cup powder sugar
1/4 tbsp vanilla extract

You dont need a mixer for this, it practically wont mix your ingredients well because of the volume so I ended up mixing it the traditional way, a whisk. Also for the buttermilk, if you dont have one just add a teaspoon of vinegar to half a cup of milk. Please do look for a dutch processed cocoa, it makes a huge difference.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! Please await moderation before your comment shows up! <3